SOLIS at WSU

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Da Vinci's Cell

Ok, I'm taking Lucie up on her suggestion to start a discussion on how they replaced the librarian character from the book with a cell phone in the movie version of The Da Vinci Code. I'm surprised that this has not gotten more attention in library land. For awhile I was thinking that either I was remembering the book incorrectly or perhaps I was the only person in library land that had both read the book and saw the movie, both of which are quite likely.

I'm not giving anything away by saying that in the book the heroes go to a large research library in London to use the expertise of a brilliant librarian whose knowledge helps save the day. In the movie the heroes hop on a bus and borrow some dude's cell phone to google the information. What kills me is that the rest of the movie follows the book page by page!

Anyway, there's my rant. I'm so glad that we have this blog as a medium for ranting.

3 Comments:

  • Actually, I thought a lot of things were lost in the translation from book to movie, but I certainly was a fuming about that particular omission.

    What really stinks is not necessarily that a teenager did it through a phone, but the fact that chances are you couldn't get that information that fast or that accurate.

    I get the whole movie was based on a work of fiction, but I saw no reason to make that type of fantastic change. I mean, this just makes more people think that Googling everything is the answer.

    For the record, I thought the movie was poop. And George Clooney would've made a better Langdon.

    By Blogger Eva G., At Thursday, June 08, 2006  

  • I also just saw the DaVinci Code, and while I was pleased aesthetically (it was almost exactly as I had visualized it, minus Tom Hanks, who doesn’t really scream intellectual professor type) I felt the tone of the film drastically differed from the book. I understand that movie versions are more condensed, but crucial parts were missing (not to mention, changed!). And because film moves so fast, you don’t have time to try to solve the puzzles yourself (although I never succeeded on my own, while reading it felt as if I figured them out just as Langdon and Sophie did).
    I recommend the book over the movie (librarians don’t have to say that, so they?), but I’d still recommend the movie for those uninterested in reading the book.
    Oh, and George Clooney would not have made a better Langdon.

    By Blogger lucie, At Saturday, June 10, 2006  

  • Not to be lame, but I read the Da Vinci Code right before starting the program at Wayne and it got me super excited about what librarians can do. Not that I think I will ever be helping to solve mysteries or anything...
    That's disappointing that the library character was written out. Of course, I didn't see the movie because I enjoyed the book so much and couldn't bare to see Tom Hanks and his ridiculous hairstyle as Langdon. So I guess I have more reason not to see it now :)

    By Blogger Karen, At Monday, July 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home