SOLIS at WSU

Friday, June 09, 2006

With the sincere hope that I don't rekindle this conversation, I'm going to mention the flurry of "diploma discussion" that just plagued our listserv. My first question is...who cares? My undergrad is still sitting filed away in the dark and that's where my MLIS will end up as well. It's a piece of paper that I won't ever pull out unless I need it.

How my diploma looks means NOTHING to me. It's what you have to back up the degree that's important. I like the idea of my diploma just being the tip of the iceberg. My "education" section on my resume is very small. It's just school. I get that there's perfectionists that need their 4.0's and their dilpomas glittering so they can show all their friends, but I'm more interested in the practical experiences that one can get from WSU. I'm interested in the caliber of classes offered, GSA positions, the internships, practicums, research projects, etc. The last thing I'm going to whine about is a stupid piece of paper.

Tell me, do you think that a possible employer will hire the person with the pretty diploma or the person that's been involved in a student organization? Do you think that a person will be more impressed with your glossy degree or the fact that you volunteered at your local historical society on the weekends? Do you think think that wonderful looking MLIS means anything if all you've done is classes?

I say not. I hope this diploma discussion is buried, never to be recovered, because it teeters on the edge of absurdity.

4 Comments:

  • Well said!

    By Blogger lucie, At Saturday, June 10, 2006  

  • I'm sorry Eva, but I have to add my two cents only to represent the population who plans on showing off their degree in a nice frame.

    I am a very sentimental person. I cherish symbols of my past experiences. That peice of paper is going to represent my time here at WSU and I plan on putting it on my wall to remind myself and those around me of how much hard work I did here.

    That being said, I really don't care what it looks like! Dr. Mika could sign a back of a napkin for all I care. What matters is the work that backs up the degree; the relationships and memories that I have made as a student here. Your degree is going to represent these no matter what it looks like.

    By Blogger BrianG, At Sunday, June 11, 2006  

  • OK, I am in the minority here...but I DO care what my degree looks like. I have my associates framed, and am going to do the same to my bachelors as soon as I have the $ for a nice frame. I know that my employers will not give a rats' ass what it looks like...it is just for me to hang on my office wall and look nice with my art posters.Just my two cents....also,, since my degree does cost alot of money, it would be nice to have something that looks nice...

    By Blogger Lori, At Monday, June 19, 2006  

  • Don't care what the darn thang looks like--seriously. I'm one of those "4.0"ers but the degree is at home, buried somewhere. No one at my workplace has their degree hanging--so I won't either. I guess every one is different, but that discussion awhile back did get a little crazy.

    By Blogger Beth, At Monday, July 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home