SOLIS at WSU

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

What I Learned at ALA

  • Be easy on yourself - There is a lot going on at the conference: programs, events, discussions, vendors, placement services, etc. I wanted to do everything, but by the end of the first day I wanted to have a primal scream session and collapse. The next day, I mentioned how overwhelmed I felt to a woman who helped run the placement services and she assured me that this was normal and that you really have to pick and choose only a few things to do each day; if you're planning on looking for a job at the placement services, plan on spending a good chunk of your time there. Also, remembering to make time to eat is a good idea.
  • Social events are great for networking - Sunday night I went to the New Members Round Table Social where I not only made new friends who are also recent grads looking for jobs, but I also met the State Librarian of California, the president of PLA, and the president of the Boston Public Library. The new president of ALA was also there, but I didn't get a chance to say hi. I also made a fool of myself on the dance floor, which probably negated any possibility that any of these people will take me seriously in the future. I have to say though, that you really haven't lived until you've seen hundreds of librarians trying to dance.
  • The conference paradox - Although as a "newbie," the conference was quite overwhelming, it was empowering as well. There is something about being around tens of thousands of members of your profession that can make you feel pretty good about your career choice.

1 Comments:

  • Great blogs, Brian! I'm very happy you had a good time. Also, thanks for the idea. Me and the girls will have to contribute to this blog from the SAA meeting in August (our first ever!) Archivists, jazz, Chicago - it's gonna' be a riot!

    By Blogger Eva G., At Saturday, July 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home