SOLIS at WSU

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The allure of the library job vs. the ever-destructive force of the unions.

Every time I see a job posting from the listserve in my inbox, I think, "could this be the one?" Quickly scanning the subject for job title and location, I am assured that it is not. Let's face it, there aren't many jobs in Michigan, let alone jobs for students. I came to the conclusion long ago that if I wanted to find a cushy library job I'd have to move out of state.

Which is not to say that I don't already have a cushy library job. Well, I did...

It surprises me even today how much faith we put into unions. I WAS working at a fantastic library with a fantastic boss and fantastic fellow employees. But since a "certain" library can't control their spending, they ended up having to move one of their employees into MY position, and I was therefore bumped down to a lower-paying, less-hours job.

I don't understand how it becomes my fault that an "unnamed" library director wasn't doing her job. Because of her, my life is now in shambles, and what could have been a very promising position is now gone in a cloud of smoke.

My question is - do we really need these unions? Am I going to have to deal with this from every library position I get, regardless of how far out of Michigan I go to get it? Why is it that the hardest, most dedicated workers always seem to get the shaft? Is there anything we can do about it? Is there any way to make it so that the unions STOP protecting those that screw up, slack off, and otherwise make our lives harder?

More to the point - can I please have my job back?

1 Comments:

  • Eeek! That stinks! I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I'm not the biggest fan of unions myself, but you're right, they're running rampant in Michigan. However, if you're looking for an academic position, they're usually union as well (teacher unions, etc). I must say, though, it's not too bad having a union on your side - it's just getting into a position where the union gives a poop about you - that's the dilemma...

    Good luck.

    By Blogger Eva G., At Wednesday, July 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home